Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Back from the Boren orientation

Last night I arrived back in East Lansing from the two-day Boren orientation and convocation in Washington, D.C. It was the shortest yet busiest trip I think I've ever been on; the only down time I had was at the airport!

Everything's so official!

At the orientation I was able to meet other Boren scholars and fellows, meet Boren alumni, and have all my questions answered about the scholarship and the one-year congressionally mandated service requirement in the federal government. I also had the opportunity to meet with Sen. Debbie Stabenow and several staffers!

This is me with Sen. Debbie Stabenow.

I received a lot of great, solid advice from several leaders and alumni. If you want to work in the federal government, there are three things you have to do: get an internship, pass your security clearance, and network. The advice is simple but judging from the current careers of the Boren alumni, following that advice will make you successful. The orientation also served as a great networking opportunity; I received contact information from several people working in government and I plan on keeping in touch with them.

It was nice having the opportunity to visit the Capitol again!

I was heavily spoiled during the event! NSEP paid for my hotel (which was two blocks away from the Capitol!), flight, meals, and even gave me a $100 stipend for additional meals and costs for public transportation.

Furthermore, I met a lot of very influential people. If anything the orientation taught me, is that I really do have a passion for public service. I am now even more excited to pursue a career in the federal government. The journey will be long and very stressful, and I will fail several times, but my life experiences have already taught me that the journey is more important and memorable than the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment