Monday, March 23, 2015

Focusing on Korean while also enjoying the weather and the city

I've been really focusing on my Korean class this week, from reviewing an hour before class to memorizing the vocabulary and grammar points to already preparing for midterms. It might sound crazy that I'm already preparing for midterms (they're not until the end of April), but I'm not natural at picking up languages;  for most people, they barely have to dedicate time to learn a language and are very proficient. I, on the other hand, have to put hours in practicing to become even remotely good. If I want to do decent on the exams, I have to prepare in advance. I'm worried that I'll do badly on one part of the exam (I'm looking at you, listening) and if I don't pass the class, I don't get the credits so I wouldn't get a Korean minor. It wouldn't be the end of the world because I don't need the credits for my majors, but it would be a huge bummer.

After finishing up another long week of classes, I met up with my unofficial language partner, Sung-hyun, for lunch and coffee. I took him to my favorite 순두부 place and my favorite cafe, Pop Container (they have the best green tea lattes and who doesn't like sitting on bean bag chairs?). We spoke in English for lunch and in Korean when we were in the cafe, so it was good practice for both of us. I also felt very comfortable speaking Korean with him which is a huge plus because you can't learn a language if you aren't comfortable and confident. I'm going to go with him and a couple of my friends to Ganghwa Island on Saturday and he's really excited to introduce me to the sites there. I'm also just excited to get out of Seoul. I love the city but you need a break from it once in awhile.

After lunch I went back to my apartment to chill and work on homework and then I met up with Lea and her friend, Elana, for dinner and dessert. Elana just arrived from the U.S. for vacation, so it was cool introducing her to some Korean culture. We ordered shabu-shabu and then got chocolate bingsu for dessert. While waiting for Lea's boyfriend to arrive at the dessert cafe, I caved and bought myself a cup of warm ginger tea but it was so worth it. I think once I get back to the U.S. I'm going to start making more traditional Korean teas like ginger and citron tea.

Yummy chocolate bingsu.

On Saturday I met up with Marisa to go to the Hangang Park (the Han River is the huge river that runs through Seoul). I wanted to take advantage of the nice weather and I realized I've never been to the river in person even though I've seen it a bunch of times when I cross the bridges. Even though it was super windy by the river and so I felt dirty afterwards because of the dust, I had a good time. Being next to a body of water was very comforting and reminded me of home. I hope to go to the park again when it gets warmer.
Marisa and I and the Hangang Park.

Another view of the park. I can't wait for the grass to become green!

Posing by the river. It was so windy that day!

Afterwards we went to the nearby Times Square mall to do some shopping. I was on the hunt for some perfume (since the stuff I brought here ran out) and a light jacket. In the midst of shopping we noticed a Taco Bell in the mall and even though we already had lunch, we were hungry again (I guess shopping does that to you). I've been to Taco Bell three times in Seoul already, but this was something else. The best way I can describe is that is was a fancy, classy Taco Bell (very unlike my experiences in the U.S.) For starters, they put the sauce in the thing you order instead of giving it to you on the side. The nacho chips are also seasoned instead of being plain and if you order here, they leave the item unwrapped. And here's the best part: instead of pop, you can get draft beer for your drink! How cool is that? I didn't expect to come across such a thing in Korea that's for sure.


Fancy Taco Bell.

After smelling a ton of perfumes, I didn't find one that I really liked but I did walk out of the mall with a new jacket. I got it at H&M since their clothes actually fit me (it sucks having long arms and legs in Korea as a girl) for 50% off, so I was happy with the purchase. 

After getting back to Sinchon, I spent the rest of the night working on homework. This week has also been pretty low-key. I'm working on booking my accommodation in Jeju and planning my day trip to Ganghwa. When I see you next I'll have more to talk to about but until then, see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment